I was discussing the development of this blog with some friends of mine the other night and one of them asked,
“So, just how ‘Michigan-made’ does everything need to be? Does your dress have be made here? Do all of the ingredients of all the foods have to be local?”
Hmm. Somehow, with all of the thinking and re-thinking and over-thinking I thought I’d done about our wedding thus far, defining “Michigan-made” hadn’t really occurred to me. As someone who has never…shall we say, gravitated toward rules, setting the guidelines for our Michigan-made wedding manifesto wasn’t a natural first step.
But if there is anything that my time working in the public sector taught me, it’s that setting rules in advance can help make all sorts of would-be issues into non-issues down the line. And if we’re going to proclaim to the world that we’re having a Michigan-made wedding, I guess we’d better decide what that means.
So without any further ado, here are the guidelines by which we’ll be bound during our Michigan-made wedding planning:
- We will do our best to have a purely Michigan wedding. This means:
- We intend for all of our vendors, that is, the people, companies and organizations to whom we might hand a check, to be located in Michigan.
- If all of the products purchased from these vendors are made in
Michigan, this is even better. Produce, flowers, drinks, and all other products that are obviously available in Michigan will be chosen over out-of-state alternatives. However, if there is only one Michigan tuxedo-maker and he makes $4,000 tuxedos…well, we’ll probably be renting non-Michigan made tuxes from a local, Michigan-owned shop.
- On that note, we’re not millionaires, so what we can afford will certainly be taken into consideration when choosing vendors. That doesn’t mean we can’t dream out loud about all of the great options we have.
- Our love of Michigan is our wedding’s theme, and the look, feel and taste of the event is meant to clearly convey that.
- The whole idea of a Michigan-made wedding is to celebrate the state we love and all of the talents and amenities available here. We hope this blog gives us the opportunity to show off the abundance of products, beauty and style we have here, whether or not we’re able to choose every option available or not.